Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Penhaligon's: The Anthology Collection.




What's the one thing yours-truly likes more than high-heeled shoes, vintage dresses, AND red lipstick? Yep, perfume! One of my first jobs was as a salesgirl at a perfume shop at the mall. We didn't exactly have a lot of business, so most of my time was spent sitting around spritzing perfume on every area of available skin, mixing scents, and trying to figure out fragrance lingo {head notes, heart notes...I still haven't got it all straight}. These days, I still find it very difficult to walk by a department store perfume counter or pass by Sephora without wanting to try/buy something new. What I wouldn't give to pay a visit to London's lovely Penhaligon's perfumery! Their new re-released line of scents from the Anthology Collection features six scents from 1927 to 1976. I love the idea of wearing something that evokes a bit of nostalgia for a particular period. I also really love the fact that three of scents are from the year I was born {I can't believe I'm giving away my age}: the 1976 Night Scented Stock and the Gardenia sound amazing. Must have been a lush year !

::What are your favorite scents?? Have you tried anything from Penhaligon's?

11 comments:

miss. chief said...

does Secret-brand spring-time deodorant count? haha

{Tara} said...

Miss -- haha! Only if you can name the head notes and heart notes.

Anonymous said...

If only it wasn't 95 quid I'd be all over the orange blossom one. I'm almost certain my grandmother had something from Penhaligon's, I definitely remember a similar bottle at any rate.

{Tara} said...

Helen -- I don't even know how much that converts to in US dollars but it is probably too pricey for my blood, as well!!

victoria said...

I'm in love with most of Escada's perfumes, even though they're pretty common. I've been wanting to try something a bit more exotic, maybe Dior's Poison, but we'll see.

Love your blog!

{Tara} said...

Victoria -- thanks so much for stopping in to comment! I used to love Dior Poison, because my stepmother wore it, and I thought she was very stylish and sophisticated. It's a bit potent for me these days, but it still brings back good memories!

Jill said...

1976...try 1968!

My favorite is Garnet by Sage. It's an oil. I get a zillion complements. I also like Mitsouko. Did I spell that right?

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried any of the Penhaglions (although I have always been intrigued by their "Bluebell")...

I have so many favourites...I could go on and on! But currently my top 5 are:
-Comme des Garcons Kyoto: cool and dry and meditative, like a darkened forest temple
-Nasamatto Absinth: deep and green and loamy
-Serge Lutens Chergui: the only way I can describe it is "exotic for people who only know exotic from books"
-Etro Messe de Minuit: sour and dry and musty; EXACTLY like a dim, airless corner of a used book store
-Creed Angelique Encens: Mysterious, resinous

http://ghoulnextdoor.tumblr.com/

{ Rococo Vintage } fashion, fairy tales, + gin gimlets said...

Oh, the bottles are so lovely! (I'm a sucker for a pretty package.) I have a perfume... problem. It's not that I buy them too often, it's that I... well, perhaps it is more of a generalized commitment problem than a perfume problem. I have a hard time really committing to a scent in perfume form, it feels as if it has to be a signature, as if it has to say something about you, and that's... so much pressure!!

What works the best for me (and gets men drooling, by the way, so ladies, take heed) is actually a hair product: Oscar Blandi Jasmine Oil Serum. I don't know what's in it, because seriously when i have a dab on somewhere I get followed! And I don't even particularly like it for my hair, i just use a dab at the ends or even on my neck.

xxo.

Francy said...

I've never heard of this! I love perfume. I tried the Dolly Girl by Anna Sui a couple years ago and thought it smelled delicious :-)

Francy said...

Hey lady, I nominated you for an award! It's at my blog :-)

pixiedrivein.blogspot.com